Stewards of a Treasure

Acensionclosethumb320x240

Grace-St. Luke’s cares for a magnificent Tiffany window that dates back to 1900, and six other defining windows from the turn of that century. That year, one of the benefactors of Grace Church, Mrs. W. A. Gage, met a representative of the Tiffany Glass Company at the Paris Exposition. She personally underwrote a signature window depicting Christ’s ascension to be hung above the altar. Mr. Tiffany personally supervised its installation. The vestry commissioned six more windows in 1907 long thought to be the work of Tiffany as well, but recent evidence suggests those six were Gorham windows, a significant Tiffany competitor in design and technique. Grace brought all seven to St. Luke’s when the churches merged in 1940, spectacular reminders of the two parishes becoming one. Window scholars recognize the Ascension window, now hanging over the main doors of the church, as a prime example of the Tiffany palette.

"Ascension"

Windowsascensionthumb5

Commissioned for over the altar at Grace Church, this Tiffany was given in memory of former rector the Rev. George Patterson, D.D., by Mrs. W. A. Gage and the installation was supervised by Tiffany himself. Mrs. Gage had met a representative of Tiffany's at the 1900 Paris Exhibition.

The surrounding panels comprise The All Saints Window, the later work of Payne-Spiers Studios, given by the parish from 1949 to 1954 to complete this magnificent tribute above the main doors and narthex of the merged church.

The window was restored for the very first time in a 1998-2000 restoration project.  

"The Light of the World"

Windowschrist 1thumb5

The Light of the World window was removed during a 1960s parish hall renovation. It did not resurface until 1988 when it was discovered in a packing crate in a garage behind a nearby house used by the Episcopal Church Women's Bazaar. It was a stroke of good luck -- the garage was soon to be demolished. The window was restored as part of the 1998-2000 window restoration project.

Today it hangs in Trezevant Hall, flanked by the windows depicting the Annunciation and Resurrection Angels. 

"Annunciation Angel"

Windowmorningangelthumb5

"The Annunciation Angel" and "The Resurrection Angel" flanked the "Ascension" window above the altar in Grace Church in downwtown Memphis from the early 1900s to 1939. Today they flank "the Light of the World" in Trezevant Hall. One stands as sunrise with a lily, a symbol of the Resurrection, the other at sunset with a palm, symbol of triumph. 

Mrs. D. P. Hadden gave both windows, on the west in memory of her mother, Mrs. Mary Ann Hudspeth Boyd, and on the east in memory of the Rev. Granville Allison, first rector of Grace Church.

Both were restored as part of the 1998-2000 window restoration project.

"Resurrection Angel"

Windoweveningangelthumb5

"The Annunciation Angel" and "The Resurrection Angel" flanked the "Ascension" window above the altar above Grace Church in downwtown Memphis from the early 1900s to 1939. Today they flank "the Light of the World" in Trezevant Hall. One stands as sunrise with a lily, a symbol of the Resurrection, the other at sunset with a palm, symbol of triumph. 

Mrs. D. P. Hadden gave both windows, on the west in memory of her mother, Mrs. Mary Ann Hudspeth Boyd, and on the east in memory of the Rev. Granville Allison, first rector of Grace Church.

Both were restored as part of the 1998-2000 window restoration project.

"The Boy Jesus in the Temple

WindowsChapel1thumb5

"The Boy Jesus in the Temple" -- one of three windows now displayed in the east wall of the chapel, originally installed in Grace Church -- was restored as part of the 1998-2000 window restoration project.  This window is in memory of Miles Berry Collier and Mary Berry Collier.

"The Nativity"

WindowsChapel2thumb5

"The Nativity" -- one of three windows now displayed in the east wall of the chapel, originally installed in Grace Church -- was restored as part of the 1998-2000 window restoration project. This window is in memory of Evelyn Buckham Lemmon.

"Jesus in Joseph's Carpentry Shop"

WindowsChapel3thumb5

"Jesus in Joseph's Carpentry Shop" -- one of three windows now displayed in the east wall of the chapel, originally installed in Grace Church -- was restored as part of the 1998-2000 window restoration project. This window is in memory of Cecilia Carrol Finlay.

The Tiffany Window Music Project

To celebrate GSL's Tiffany Window, Luna Nova Music commissioned five composers to write new works inspired by these beautiful treasures. These extraordinary pieces were premiered during Memphis' 2010 Belvedere Chamber Music Festival.

Below are links to each of these exciting performances: 

John Baur, Tiffany Annuciation (flute, clarinet, bassoon, horn, cello, piano)  
James Carlson, Ascension (organ)   
Andrew Drannon, Ascension Syndrome (organ)  
Robert Patterson, Windows for Children (violin, horn, clarinet, bassoon, organ, singers)  
Mark Volker, Sculpted Light (flute, clarinet, bassoon, horn, piano, and cello) 

Sitemap