More Than a Meal
Every Sunday, Grace-St. Luke's More Than a Meal invites the homeless and hungry to dine in our parish hall side-by-side with parishioners and other members of the community.
More Than a Meal provides a hot meal and, in addition, provides the dignity of table service, fellowship, and a break from the invisibilty that many of our guests live.
The goals of this ministry include:
- getting to know our less fortunate neighbors, so that we may see the Christ in them, and they the Christ in us;
- acting as instruments of God's love to our community;
- assisting those suffering from economic hardship;
- developing the bonds of friendship and trust that will make it possible for us to help our friends free themselves from the bonds of mental illness and addiction; and
- learning the lessons of faith that our guests have learned from their life experience.
We share this ministry with partners from Church of the Holy Communion, All Saints' Episcopal Church, St. Luke's Lutheran Church, Church of the Holy Apostles, and Idlewild Presbyterian Church.
MORE THAN A MEAL VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!
Every single Sunday - all year long - you will find Trezevant Hall a center of holy hospitality as our More Than a Meal ministry provides food,companionship and prayer for those in need. Volunteers are always needed and welcomed whether for a single Sunday or on a regular basis. There are many ways to help! Help is need for set up between 3:00 and 4:00 p.m. on Sundays and with serving meals to our guests between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. This is also a meaningful way for students to earn community service hours. The many hands that make this ministry happen Sunday after Sunday come from many churches but the team captains are all Grace-St. Luke's parishioners. To learn more or to volunteer for a particular Sunday, see the list below. - The Rev. Gayle McCarty
1st Sunday: Happy Jones(happyfred [at] comcast [dot] net), Team Captain
2nd Sunday: Debbie Sweeney(dhooser [at] comcast [dot] net) & Libba Allen, Team Captains
3rd Sunday: Ruthie Lentz(rlentz [at] comcast [dot] net), Team Captain
4th Sunday: Edith Heller(hrheller3 [at] comcast [dot] net), Team Captain
5th Sunday: Murray McKay(murraymckay [at] comcast [dot] net), Team Captain
To find out more about helping this or any other Grace-St. Luke's Outreach ministry, click here.